I’ve wanted to get back into blogging, but it has been difficult. I keep making all of these excuses about not having the time for the commitment it takes to keep up with a blog. I miss the community that I had when I was consistently blogging. I stopped blogging when I was going through my divorce. It was difficult to post anything publicly during such a private time in my life. After my divorce, I found it equally as difficult to write anything else because it felt like a giant elephant in the room that I wasn’t addressing. I didn’t know how to get back into the flow of a lifestyle blog when my lifestyle so drastically changed. The majority of my posts pre-divorce (PD) were of outings or experiences with my husband. So what were the posts going to be after divorce (AD)? It felt strange to write posts and share about how I was partying and trying to figure out who I was without this man whom I was supposed to dedicate my life. It’s been nearly four years AD, and I’m finally okay with writing about my life again. Not that there’s necessarily anything interesting about it, but that I’m okay with sharing the outings and the journey seems important.
For anyone who still occasionally follows me on twitter from my old blog, you know me. For those who don’t – I’m Kelly. I’m 28 and work in the legal field. I have the best pup in the world. His name is Sammy (after Sam Seaborn from The West Wing) and will be 3 in March. I was married and then divorced. I was in law school and then dropped out. I graduated with my Masters in Public Administration in May 2014, and will be looking into PhD programs. Things have been a bit rocky for me and I’m slowly starting to get my life back on track.
This is me!
Through these four years, I have sat on the sidelines watching my friends get married and some stayed married while others divorced. I wonder – why we were all so quick to tie the knot? To be honest, the number of people I know who were married before 25 is higher than I personally think it should be. Was there this unspoken pressure of following the “relationship” rules (date for a couple of years, get engaged, get married, and have kids)? Those rules being archaic to some and gospel to others. I’ve gone through serious boyfriends and casual dating via meeting at work, bars and online. The people I’ve met through this time have become anything from thorns in my side to surprisingly good friends. I’ve learned that it’s okay to be alone. That was the scariest part for me. To accept that it was okay to not be out with friends or with a boyfriend. I have come to cherish those nights now. I live for a good Friday night of simply catching up on Netflix with a six pack of cheap beer and amazing pizza. It’s those nights alone that I know I’m going to be okay, maybe I’m not quite there yet, but I will be. I’d also like to think of this indulgence as budgeting both my time and money effectively. After all, being a millennial generally doesn’t translate into an easy understanding of cost-benefit analysis. At least, it doesn’t for me. I hope y’all could follow my train of thought, because it tends to be a little less cohesive than most, but as of right now I love not planning it out and just being able to free-flow with my writing.
Shouldn't all posts end with a picture of a cute dog?
This is Sammy!
No comments:
Post a Comment